Thursday, January 13

Because Americans are too self-centered to have noticed?

I just heard a teaser for an NBC special to benefit victims of the south Asian tsunami featuring "some of the biggest stars in the world" (or some similar silliness).

While I respect every attempt to help those in need, it is now three weeks after the initial disaster. Millions have been given and pledged by private citizens all across the United States, and our government has generously offered our tax dollars in the form of financial aid, food, supplies, materials, and military support.

With this in mind, what do the celebrities performing (I think I heard the ubiquitous Bono in the ad) think they are doing? Motivating the unwashed masses who, apart from a celebrity on whose every word they hang, would be completely unaware of (and indifferent to) human suffering?

I can't help but wonder about the rationale behind something like this.